Saturday, January 9, 2021

I Had My Kicks With '66

The time has come to retire this blog. Several things contributed to this decision:
 
1. I have run out of cards to post here (other than for players that I've already posted elsewhere), and I don't like to duplicate players across multiple blogs. That leaves me with only the various Rookie Stars cards to post, which I don't really want to do.  I also thought about beefing up the Braves' representation on this blog, which is lagging behind all the other teams, but those capless cards are just too hideous to unleash on the public.
 
2. The new Blogger format is a pain in the butt to deal with. The constant hassle with paragraph vs. normal layouts, photos not appearing where you expect them, even commenting on other blogs is sketchy. (If I don't immediately sign out after posting a comment, my next navigation sends a duplicate comment to the blog.) 
 
3. I don't have as much time to blog as I used to. 
 
For these and other reasons, blogging has started to become a chore. A long time ago I set goals on which cards I wanted to blog for each set. I have come to that point on some of my blogs, and am near it on all others except 1969. I intended to push through to the end, but that is feeling like a self-imposed chore now. 
 
This closure follows my 1963 blog's demise, and others will follow sooner or later. 


I have also enabled comment moderation on all my blogs. This was done not to suppress legitimate comments, but to prevent the blogs from being overrun by spam comments since I will not be reading them as often as I do now. 
 
One only needs to look at the comments section of just about ANY post on this blog to see what happens when the blog owner doesn't keep up with the spammers.


If you haven't seen it already, please scroll down to the end of the sidebar to read comments about the set that I wrote, and posted on Zistle some years ago.

2 comments:

T-Bird said...

Jim:

Thanks for all your hard work on this and so many other blogs. As a fan, but no baseball expert, I have really enjoyed your writeups on the 1966 and 1967 Topps cards in particular (those were the cards with which I began card collecting), but also your blogs on other years. I have lurked, but never posted, because I am no baseball expert. However, I have to break that self-imposed bond of silence to express my appreciation for your insights into players and managers and teams that meant so much to me when baseball players all seemed larger than life to me. I hope that the causes for your having less time to do these blogs are happy ones and I wish you the best. Thanks again, Jim -- Bill

Jim from Downingtown said...

Thanks for your kind words.

After more than 1500 baseball posts (across my 1960s and 63-70 blogs) and another 100 football posts, I'm running out of things to say. :)

I still have about 50 cards I still want to blog about from 1967-70, then I may just limit myself to commenting.